Date and time: 11th May 2016, 10:30-17:00
Venue: Syke auditorium, Mechelininkatu 34 a, Helsinki
Organizers: Smart Energy Transition project in cooperation with EL-TRAN, BCDC Energy and Neo-Carbon Energy research projects
(Materials are in slideshare as open data and can be downloaded)
Panel discussion: What are the challenges of the electricity markets? How the research projects are dealing with them?
- Professor Pami Aalto, University of Tampere: EL-TRAN project
- Professor Samuli Honkapuro, Lappeenranta University of Technology: Smart Energy Transition project
- Professor Rauli Svento, University of Oulu: BCDC Energy project
- Principal Scientist Pasi Vainikka, VTT: Neo-Carbon Energy project
The development of the EU regulatory framework for electricity markets
Doctoral Researcher Kaisa Huhta, University of Eastern Finland
Outlook for renewables cost of electricity
Professor Christian Breyer, Lappeenranta University of Technology
Power based distribution tariffs
Professor Pertti Järventausta, Tampere University of Technology
Integration of large-scale wind generation into the Finnish power system
Doctoral candidate Hannu Huuki, University of Oulu Business School and Finnish Environment Institute Syke
Keskusteluryhmä muille kuin tutkijoille: Miten sähkömarkkinat toimivat ja miten niitä pitäisi uudistaa? Asiantuntijapanelistit: Professori Jero Ahola, Lappeenrannan teknillinen yliopisto; johtava tutkija Pasi Vainikka, VTT sekä tutkijatohtori Kaisa Matschoss, Helsingin yliopiston kuluttajatutkimuskeskus
Researchers working in 5 groups answering key questions:
- Which are the main challenges and possible solutions?
- What could researchers do to help resolving the challenges?
- Could we write discussion papers, policy briefs or do something else together?
Discussing the results and working plans
Groups presenting their results:
- Group 1: How present electricity market design should be modified, to support the competitiveness of the smart energy technology providers and efficient operation of domestic energy markets? (see notes)
- Group 2: Competitiveness and new business models for smart energy providers (see notes)
- Group 3: Possibilities and costs for large scale implementation of renewables (see notes)
- Group 4: What policy changes are needed to foster new business models and energy markets related to renewables and demand response? (see notes)
- Group 5: Energy storages and market regulation – how energy storages could become feasible for grid operators?
Summary compiled by Otto Koskinen, Lappeenranta University of Tecnhology
Comments by stakeholder jury representatives:
- Senior Manager Jukka-Pekka Häkli, PWC
- Senior Officer Bettina Lemström, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, Energy Department
- Member of the parliament Kai Mykkänen
- Development Director Jan Segerstam, Empower IM Oy
Results of seminar feedback questionnaire
Questions about the seminar?
Contact: Stakeholder Relations Manager Karoliina Auvinen, karoliina.auvinen(at)aalto.fi, phone +358 50 472 4727
Aalto University, Smart Energy Transition Project