– and how can Finland benefit from developing smart energy solutions?
The seminar seeks to find answers to the following questions:
- How does Finland contribute to the global climate change mitigation in line with the Paris climate agreement?
- How can Finland benefit from the ongoing global energy transition? How could the national energy policy be better combined with innovation and industry policies in order to increase clean energy business opportunities in the national and export markets?
- How to decarbonize the heating sector? How can coal and other fossil fuels be replaced by clean energy solutions especially in the cities’ district heating systems? How to increase and handle the intermittent renewable energy without jeopardizing Finnish energy security during the cold winter weeks?
Time: Thursday 26 April 2018, 13:15 – 15:30 pm
Venue: Aalto University School of Business, Assembly Hall (Juhlasali), Runeberginkatu 14-16, 00100 Helsinki, Finland
13:15 Opening of the seminar:
Music from the upcoming opera MAAMME ENERGIA (premier 17.5.2018 in Savoy Theater, Helsinki)
13:30 How can Finland contribute to global energy transition and benefit from it?
Seminar Chair, Smart Energy Transition consortium Leader, Professor Armi Temmes, Aalto University
13:35 How Finland can contribute to Paris climate agreement by promoting clean energy technologies – Business opportunities for Finnish companies
Minister of the Environment, Energy and Housing Kimmo Tiilikainen
13:50 Global opportunities for renewable energy technologies and energy transition solutions
Director, Innovation and Technology Dolf Gielen, International Renewable Energy Agency IRENA
14:10 How the seasonality & variability can be managed in the clean district heating system?
Senior Scientist, D.Sc. (Tech.) Francesco Reda, Smart Energy Transition / VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
14:30 Fulfilling winter week energy needs in future high renewable scenarios
Principal Scientist Hannele Holttinen, EL-TRAN / VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
14:40 – 15:30 Panel discussion:
How to resolve the intermittency and seasonality challenges in Finland? What are the roles of new business solutions, smart grids, and the users? How can Finland contribute to global clean energy transition?
- Professor in Sustainable Consumption Eva Heiskanen, Helsinki University
- Chair of the Finnish Parliament’s Energy Renovation Group, MP Harri Jaskari
- Deputy Director-General Sakari Oksanen, International Renewable Energy Agency IRENA
- Senior Adviser Tatu Pahkala, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland
- Energy Program Director Helena Sarén, Business Finland
- Vice President, Sustainability and Public Affairs Maiju Westergren, Helen Ltd
Moderator: Director of Stakeholder Relations Karoliina Auvinen, Smart Energy Transition / Aalto University
15:30 Coffee, snacks and networking
Registration: please fill the registration form latest by 21st April 2018
The seminar is organized by Smart Energy Transition project funded by The Strategic Research Council, in cooperation with Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, and Business Finland.
For any questions regarding the seminar or registration, please contact Smart Energy Transition Project Coordinator Allu Pyhälammi: email@example.com